The final exam is here: http://davis.foulger.info/oswego/Fall2002/RelationshipsandCommunities/finalExam.htm
Daily Lecture Notes
(these notes should not be considered complete or final until after the class in question has been taught)
- Communicating Emotion: Social, Moral and Cultural Processes. Sally Planalp. Cambridge University Press. October, 1999. $25.
- Bridges Not Walls: A Book about Interpersonal Communication 8TH Edition. John Robert Stewart. ?McGraw-Hill Higher Education. June 2001. $34.
- The Magic of Dialogue: Transforming Conflict into Cooperation. Daniel Yankelovich. Touchstone Books; ISBN: 0684865661; (September 2001). $13 ?
- Table of Contents
- Overcoming the Dialogue Deficit 9
- What Makes Dialogue Unique? 35
- The Billion-dollar Dialogue 47
- Introducing Dialogue into Routine Meetings 58
- Transforming Casual Encounters Through Dialogue 73
- Planned Dialogue 90
- The Long and the Short of It 110
- Ten Potholes of the Mind 129
- Cultural Fault Lines 149
- Proxy Dialogue 159
- The Blind Spot and Other Resistances 169
- Dialogue as a Path to Public Judgment 177
- From Expert Knowledge to Wisdom 186
- The Struggle for the Soul of America 201
Setting up the mid-term
- I-It, I-You, and I-Thou
- Emotion as Disruption versus Giving Conversation Life
- Communication as Weaving. (your own metaphor)
- Five stages of emotion
- Precipitating events (objects, causes)
- Physiological changes
- Expression (action tendencies, action)
- Incomplete emotion: moods and sentiments
- Disentangling events from interpretations. isues of goals, values, history, anticipation, and the social (shared prototypes, contagion)
- Conversation, dialogue, discussion, and debate
- How does dialogue help us be compassionate (understanding, accepting, forgiving)
- Ways in which we construct ourselves through our interaction with others
- Different I's for different others in different situations/roles
- Signals, signs, and symbols
- Communicating with aliens
- Signs and non-verbal behavior
- Language as an activity: invented, socialized, and enacted
- Language as filter: figure and ground, set of syntactic assumptions
- The inexpressible
- The difficulty of expressing many emotions
- Exchanging messages versus coordinating meaning
- Communicating emotion versus communicating emotionally
- Elements of emotional communication competence
- Noticing emotion
- Identifying it correctly (recognition)
- Understanding it
- Responding appropriately
- Expressing appropriately
- Varieties of emotional connection
- Emotional Recognition
- Emotional Accuracy
- Emotional Understanding
- Emotional coincidence
- Emotional contagion and empathy
- Responding to the other's feeling's
- Things we do whenever we communicate
- Identify situation
- Define who we are with
- Define ourselves relative to
- Figure out why things unfold as they do (attribution)
- Blocks to listening
- Listening skills
- Listening - stop, look, listen, and respond; , focusing, encouraging, reflecting
- Dialogue - equality, empathic listening, and surfacing assumptions nonjudgementally
- Dialogue strategies
- Crafting Society: Ethnicity, Class and Communication Theory. Donald G. Ellis. Lawrence Erlbaum. $50.
- Media Technology and Society: A History: From the Telegraph to the Internet. Brian Winston. Routledge, 1998. $27.
- Constructing CO-Cultural Theory: An Explication of Culture, Power, and Communication. Mark P. Orbe. Sage; 1997.
- The Community of the Future. Frances Hesselbein (Editor) Marshall Goldsmith (Editor) Richard F. Schubert (Editor) Richard F. Beckhard (Editor). Wiley; 2000. $18.
- From Grunts to Gigabytes: Communications and Society. Dan Lacy. University of Illinois Press. 1996.
- Mapping Cyberspace. Martin Dodge Rob Kitchin. Routledge; 2000.
- Life Online: Researching Real Experience in Virtual Space, Vol. 16. Annette N. Markham. ?AltaMira Press; 1998.
- Communication Research: Strategies and Sources 5TH Edition. Rebecca B. Rubin Linda J. Piele Alan M. Rubin. Wadsworth, 1999.
- Communication as Culture: Essays on Media and Society. James W. Carey. Routledge; 1990. $21.
- Becoming a Critical Thinker: A User Friendly Manual (3rd Edition). Sherry Diestler. Prentice Hall College Div; 2000.
- Living Language: Reading, Thinking, and Writing. Alleen Pace Nilsen. Allyn & Bacon; 1998.
- Speaking into the Air: A History of the Idea of Communication. John Durham Peters. University of Chicago Press; 2000.
- Information Technologies and Social Orders. Carl J. Couch David R. Maines (Editor) Shing-Ling Chen (Editor). Aldine de Gruyter; June 1996. $26.
- Intercultural Communication: A Discourse Approach 2ND. Ronald Scollon Suzanne Wong Scollon Ron Scollon Suzanne Wong Scollon. Blackwell. 2001. $32.
- Interface Culture: How New Technology Transforms the Way We Create and Communicate. Steven Johnson. Basic Books. 1999.
- Communication as Culture: Essays on Media and Society. James W. Carey. Routledge. 1990. $21.
- Mapping Inner Space Learning and Teaching Visual Mapping. Nancy Margulies, Nusa Maal, Margaret J. Wheatley. Zephyr Press; ISBN: 1569761388; 2nd edition (November 2001). $24.
- The Magic of Dialogue: Transforming Conflict into Cooperation. Daniel Yankelovich. Touchstone Books; ISBN: 0684865661; (September 2001). $13
- Dialogue and the Art of Thinking Together: A Pioneering Approach to Communicating in Business and in Life. William Isaacs. Doubleday; ISBN: 0385479999; (September 14, 1999). $20
- Spaces of Identity : Global Media, Electronic Landscapes and Cultural Boundaries. David Morley Kevin Robins. Routledge; 1995. $25.
- Five Star Mind: Games and Exercises to Stimulate Your Creativity and Imagination. Tom Wujec. Main Street Books; ISBN: 0385414625; (August 1995). $14.
- The Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier. Howard Rheingold. MIT Press; 2000. $22.
- Communication in History : Technology, Culture, Society 3RD Edition. Paul Heyer David J. Crowley (Editors). Longman; 1998.
- Self-Renewing Society: The Role of Television and Communications Technology. N. D. Batra. University Press of America. 1990. $21.
- Communication Technology and Society: Audience Adoption and Uses. Carolyn A. Lin (Editor) David J. Atkin (Editor). Hampton Press; 2002. $60.
Communications Media in the Information Society. Joseph Straubhaar. Course Technology, Inc.; 1997 . $59.
- Communication, Technology, and Politics in the Information Age. Gerald Sussman. SAGE; 1997. $40.
- Online Communication: Linking Technology, Identity, and Culture. Andrew F. Wood Matthew J. Smith Matthew J. Smith. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 2001. $27.50.
- Making the Information Society: Experience, Consequences, and Possibilities. James W. Cortada. Financial Times-Prentice Hall Books. 2001. $29.
- Culture,Technology,Communication. Charles Ess Fay Sudweeks (Editor). State University of New York Press; 2001. $24.
- ?CyberSociety 2.0: Revisiting Computer-Mediated Communication and Technology, Vol. 2. Steve G. Jones (Editor). SAGE; 1999.
- Communication at a Distance: The Influence of Print on Sociocultural Organization and Change. David S. Kaufer Kathleen M. Carley. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1993. $95.
- A Sociological Theory of Communication: The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society. Loet Leydesdorff. Upublish.com. 2001. $35.
- Communication and Culture. Tony Schirato Susan Yell. SAge; 2000. $102.
- Information and Communication Technologies: Visions and Realities. William H. Dutton (Editor). Oxford; 1996. $45.
- Information Society in Europe: Work and like in an Age of Globalization. Ken Ducatel (Editor) Werner Herrmann (Editor) Juliet Webster (Editor). Rowman & Littlefield; 2000. $81.
Cooperation is hard wired:
Communication and Community articles:
Alice and bots:
|| -- Last edited September 18, 2015 |
to Main Topic list
Unless otherwise noted, the contents of this page
were written by participants on the Media Space Wiki, operated by Davis Foulger,
and should be cited accordingly. For example (APA):
Foulger, D. and other
participants. (September 18, 2015). Communication Relationships And Communities. MediaSpaceWiki. Retrieved on from
azitromicina canadian pharmacy viagra viagra cialis cheap generic viagra Canadian pharmacy acheter une pharmacie pharmacie en ligne Canadian pharmacy viagra ed pills buy zithromax buy cymbalta pharmacie viagra staxyn avanafil pharmacien en ligne viagra online ed meds generic viagra viagra vs cialis xenical online cialis vs viagra ed drugs pharmacy en ligne buy nexium viagra cialis