Index Card Assignment Due Thursday: What are your ethical obligations as:
- a copy writer creating press release copy to an account executives specification. (public relations)
- a news director deciding which stories will make the news on a particular night. (broadcast)
- a intermediary who has been asked, by one friend, to deliver a message to another (human communication)
- Espouses a consumerism based on recognition of the hyperreal
- Human needs, in today's world, are driven by the media
- accumulation of goods
- a consumption society
- our media ensure that consumption does not equal satisfaction
- We substitute the false for the real in creating the hyperreal
- The Television Family
- The Nuclear Family
- Neighborhoods that are absent of the old, the handicapped, and the poor.
- Wars that do not have the characteristics of war.
- Let the media consumer beware.
- Decision Tool: pick the least manipulative and intrusive path as one that most closely represents reality.
Is there a balance of creator and consumer ethics.
- Of message creators to not give offence if they can reasonably avoid doing so?
- Of message consumers to not take offence if another interpretation is reasonable
- Issues of Rights and Duty
Kant and Schopehauer
- Leslie, p. 72-78, 87-93
- Anderson and Englehart, p. 31-33
Kant and the promotion of virtue
- Known for his Critique of Pure Reason
- Troubled by the growing view of the universe as a deterministic machine
- Humans have the ability to reason.
- We are moral agents - able to act on our thinking
- ought implies can ("pure practical reason")
- We have obligations to others
- to promote virtue, good health, and dignity
- we follow maxims - a personal plan of action based on personal private rules
- Example: "Whenever I believe myself short of money, I will borrow money and promiose to pay it back, even though I know I never will."
|| -- Last edited September 18, 2015 |
to Main Topic list
Unless otherwise noted, the contents of this page
were written by participants on the Media Space Wiki, operated by Davis Foulger,
and should be cited accordingly. For example (APA):
Foulger, D. and other
participants. (September 18, 2015). Ethics Session Eight. MediaSpaceWiki. Retrieved on from
azitromicina canadian pharmacy viagra viagra cialis cheap generic viagra Canadian pharmacy acheter une pharmacie pharmacie en ligne Canadian pharmacy viagra ed pills buy zithromax buy cymbalta pharmacie viagra staxyn avanafil pharmacien en ligne viagra online ed meds generic viagra viagra vs cialis xenical online cialis vs viagra ed drugs pharmacy en ligne buy nexium viagra cialis