- Students looking for COM 412 should know that the spring semester's COM 395, Mediated Interpersonal Communication, will be counted as COM 412 for the purposes of satisfying departmental requirements in human communication.
- Shakespeare's Classic "A Midsummer Nights Dream is playing on Campus this weekend. I have seen a number of productions of A Midsummer Night's Dream over the years (it was a primary subject matter of my senior thesis). Every once in a while a Shakespeare production comes along in which you stop experiencing the play's 16th century language and see the play in much the same way Shakespeare's original audiences did: as a wild entertainment. This production hits that mark. It is easily the best production of Midsummer's Night I have ever seen: both literate and three stooges comical. You will love it. There are performances all this weekend (Thursday to Sunday). Check it out.
- The Communication Studies Alumni Weekend is November 2. This is a great opportunity for you to see some of the things you can do with your degree and make contact with people who may be able to help you find jobs eventually. Check out the afternoon seminars. Attend the Saturday night Alumni dinner. The registration deadline (online) is Friday, October 25.
Term paper: CommEthicsTermPaper
Persig and the Ethics of Quality
The Metaphysics of Quality
- Quality is an evolutionary moral order
- All legitimate human knowledge arises from the senses or thinking about what the senses provide.
- Not "I think, therefore I am". (Descartes)
- But "I perceive, therefore I am". (Drucker)
- Quality is not a substance
- It inheres to substances
- It is something we perceive
- Within limits, attribution is a good and necessary thing
- There are two kinds of quality
- Static quality: Defined socially
- Dynamic quality: Cutting edge. Often perceived intuitively
- Source: http://www.moq.org/forum/anthony.html
- Another good discussion of the nature oof dynamic quality in Persig's Metaphysics of Quality (http://www.moq.org/forum/rory.html#chapter3)
- Decision Rule 1: Favor the intellectual over the social, the social over the biological, the biological over the inorganic. Ideas matter more than the structures that enable them.
- Decision Rule 2: If it seems right, take your intuition seriously.
Ethical Issues in Broadcasting: Time Versus Quality
- Leslie, p. 242-247 and 257-267
- Television, including cable and satellite
- Internet broadcasting isn't quite the same
Principle attributes relative to publishing
- huge audiences
- While it includes journalism and competes with newspapers, it is more akin to publishing in its overall scope
- Rating Systems
- Audience size
- Audience demographics
- More a production/enablement issue
- But does it keep good content off the air
- Content rating systems
- Primarily an audience issue
- latchkey kids
- inadequate supervision
- But there are serious disagreements
- Do content rating systems rate the right things
- Who gets to decide and based on what criteria/agenda
- Lowest Common Denominator Television shows
- News as entertainment
- Daytime talk shows
- Can broadcasting really be educational?
- Foulger's three laws of media
- You know a medium is young and promising when people talk about its value in education
- You know a medium is beginning to succeed when people complain about its use for pornography
- You know a medium is well established when people complain about the fact that it isn't used for education
- Is there time to reasonably evaluate the news before putting it on the air when broadcasting is live?
- Is a five second delay enough?
- How long is too long?
- How short is too short?
|| -- Last edited September 18, 2015 |
to Main Topic list
Unless otherwise noted, the contents of this page
were written by participants on the Media Space Wiki, operated by Davis Foulger,
and should be cited accordingly. For example (APA):
Foulger, D. and other
participants. (September 18, 2015). Ethics Session Fifteen. MediaSpaceWiki. Retrieved on from
azitromicina canadian pharmacy viagra viagra cialis cheap generic viagra Canadian pharmacy acheter une pharmacie pharmacie en ligne Canadian pharmacy viagra ed pills buy zithromax buy cymbalta pharmacie viagra staxyn avanafil pharmacien en ligne viagra online ed meds generic viagra viagra vs cialis xenical online cialis vs viagra ed drugs pharmacy en ligne buy nexium viagra cialis