Index Card Assignment Due Thursday: Imagine you have enough money to start your own broadcast news network. Suppose also that you have a bias that you would like to see expressed in the news on your broadcast network. What could you do to ensure that your point of view is broadcast with the news?
Broadcasting issues continued
- Lowest Common Denominator Television shows
- News as entertainment
- Daytime talk shows
- Can broadcasting really be educational?
- Foulger's three laws of media
- You know a medium is young and promising when people talk about its value in education
- You know a medium is beginning to succeed when people complain about its use for pornography
- You know a medium is well established when people complain about the fact that it isn't used for education
- Is there time to reasonably evaluate the news before putting it on the air when broadcasting is live?
- Is a five second delay enough?
- How long is too long?
- How short is too short?
The Ethics of Enablement
- Who enables communication
- Producers and Publishers
- Postal delivery
- Truck drivers
- Telephone and internet carriers
Aquinas and our obligations to others
Leslie, p. 40-42
- From a thirteenth century friar from a wealthy family.
- He probably developed his philosophy at least in part as a reaction to his families unhappiness over his becoming a friar rather than a monk.
- Virtue leads to happiness.
- People are inclined to virtue
- Happiness is more important than pleasure, riches, honor, or worldly goods.
- Four cardinal virtues:
- Exercise prudence and fairness in our dealints with others, especially the less fortunate.
- Decision Tool: Does this course exhibit prudence, justice, temperment, and courage? Is it prudent and fair to others, including those with less power and resources than I have?
Agency, Stucturation, and Obligation
Anderson and Englehart, p. 55-80
- Enablement of communication is often about power
- The financial power to say yes or no
- to cheat or be fair
- to shape messages
- to shape standards
- The positional power to decide
- Financial Decision Making
- Personnel Decision Making
- With power comes responsibility
- To satisfy the needs of competing constituencies
- In media, that is often expressed in an organizations culture
- Who gets to decide
- What values get priority
Machiavelli, means, and ends
Leslie, p. 47-53
- Generally associated with cunning, duplicity and bad faith
- Actually trumpets virtues:
- He simply notes that human conditions do not always permet virtues
- Virtu is to understand, accept, and adapt
- Change is good because change is unavoidable
- The Un-Golden Rule: Do unto others as they would do unto you
- The obverse of the Golden rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you)
- Machiavelli figures that they will do what they want, so you protect those you are responsible for best by beating them to it.
- If there is a fundamental problem here, it is one of attribution.
- You can't really know what others will do for you.
- Imaginiation becomes an excuse for doing what you want.
- Machiavelli's antidote: ethical absolutes should be flexed a minimally as possible.
- Appearances are important ... more important than reality
- Maintain them - others see you as you appear
- Act as the fox and the lion
- Feared and respected
- Sly and vicious
- The ends justify the means
- In some sense the ultimate pragmatist
- Decision Tool: Assume that times and situations change. Learn and adapt to them. When virtue must be flexed in order to adapt and protect ones interests and responsibilities, flex them as little as possible.
|| -- Last edited September 18, 2015 |
to Main Topic list
Unless otherwise noted, the contents of this page
were written by participants on the Media Space Wiki, operated by Davis Foulger,
and should be cited accordingly. For example (APA):
Foulger, D. and other
participants. (September 18, 2015). Ethics Session Sixteen. MediaSpaceWiki. Retrieved on from
azitromicina canadian pharmacy viagra viagra cialis cheap generic viagra Canadian pharmacy acheter une pharmacie pharmacie en ligne Canadian pharmacy viagra ed pills buy zithromax buy cymbalta pharmacie viagra staxyn avanafil pharmacien en ligne viagra online ed meds generic viagra viagra vs cialis xenical online cialis vs viagra ed drugs pharmacy en ligne buy nexium viagra cialis