Index Card Assignment due Thursday: Select three media that you might be interested in looking at for the term paper.
Index Card Assignment due today: Imagine one thing that could be done in the media that would make the world a better place.
- What is it?
- How could you make it happen?
- What would the effects be?
Hobbes and our obligations to others
- Leslie, p. 53-56
- Anderson and Englehart, p. 33-34
- Thomas Hobbes
- Seventeenth Century Social Scientist
- Sought to apply scientific method to the study of people
- Strongly influential on Thomas Jefferson and the declaration of independence
- Considered the following axiomatic
- There is no clear, objective truth about the external world
- People take to be 'good' that which is in their own interest.
- People can do more that act from self-interest. Natural law protects self-interest by protecting everyone's self-interest.
- Hence the route to proper behavior is politics: the mutual establishment of a "social contract"
- in which people agree on a set of practices
- and keep those convenents out of a sense of self-preservation
- determined and maintained by a everyone as a society
- When we do this:
- We are bound by socially agreed on moral rules
- Our actions should contribute to an ordered society
- We establish an environment that is conducive to virtue
- a stable political system
- that protects the interests of everyone
- that establishes a set of individual rights as natural law
- Hobbes ethical principles address how we ought to act, as political beings, to protect our interests:
- Seak peace rather than conflict
- Promote justice and mutual accommodation
- fulfill your obligations
- All can be viewed as preserving long term value in a social system
- His philosophy is exemplified in
- The declaration of independence
- the constitution
- the bill of rights
- a variety of professional ethical standards
- types of rights
- welfare rights (food, shelter, clothing, security)
- liberty rights (speech, religion, assembly, justice, equality, fairness, privacy, work)
- Hobbes philosophy is fundamentally about agency
- That we can make the world better
Decision Tool: Rise above self-interest. Promote justice and Strive for mutual accommodation. Filfill your obligations.
|| -- Last edited September 18, 2015 |
to Main Topic list
Unless otherwise noted, the contents of this page
were written by participants on the Media Space Wiki, operated by Davis Foulger,
and should be cited accordingly. For example (APA):
Foulger, D. and other
participants. (September 18, 2015). Ethics Session Twenty. MediaSpaceWiki. Retrieved on from
azitromicina canadian pharmacy viagra viagra cialis cheap generic viagra Canadian pharmacy acheter une pharmacie pharmacie en ligne Canadian pharmacy viagra ed pills buy zithromax buy cymbalta pharmacie viagra staxyn avanafil pharmacien en ligne viagra online ed meds generic viagra viagra vs cialis xenical online cialis vs viagra ed drugs pharmacy en ligne buy nexium viagra cialis